Composting Classes June 2021 via Zoom – Learn how to create and maintain a healthy compost system with food and yard waste. Create compost to amend your soil, retain moisture, provide essential nutrients for your plants, & MORE! Cost is $25 and participants receive a $125 Earth Machine compost bin. One per household, please. Must attend the full workshop to receive the compost bin. Additional family members and/or friends may attend at no charge with one paid registration. If you have already attended a class, please share with others who have not attended the class. Available to Jefferson County residents only. For more information, email Laura Tucker or call 360-379-4491. Click on a link to register through Brown Paper Tickets: 1) Sat., June 5, 10-11:30AM 2) Sat., June 5, 2-3:30PM 3) Tues., June 8, 10 -11:30AM 4) Tues., June 8, 7-8:30PM
Yard waste composting options:
- Backyard Composting (include food scraps too!)
- Curbside Collection (within City of Port Townsend)
- Drop off at a composting facility.
Curbside Yard Waste Collection is included with residential trash service within Port Townsend city limits. Every-other-week collection includes up to three “units” in any combination. One “unit” is any of the following:
- 34-gallon or smaller container with “YARD WASTE” marked with 3-inch letters on two sides;
- A paper bag designed for yard waste. Bags are available at hardware and nursery stores, and are composted with the yard waste;
- A tied bundle of limbs and branches no longer than 4 ft., no wider than 2 ft., and no more than 40 pounds;
- A 3 mil or heavier bag. Leave the bag open, no ties;
- Christmas trees cut in half. Trees with flocking or tinsel will be charged as extra garbage.
Phone DM Disposal for more information, 360-385-6612.
Drop off at the Composting Facility – Jefferson County and the City of Port Townsend have partnered to provide yard waste composting at the City’s Composting Facility, located 325 County Landfill Rd, Port Townsend. HOURS are Monday through Saturday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, except County holidays.
The Composting Facility accepts yard waste, brush and tree limbs up to 8 feet in length and 10 inches in diameter. The cost, prorated, is $48.00 per ton. The minimum charge is $5.00, which covers the first 200 pounds. Visit the City’s link above or phone 360-385-7908 for compost sales or other information.