A-Z Disposal Info

Our Recycling page has current information on recycling and our latest recycling flyer.  The Hazardous Waste page has information on disposing of hazardous waste.

Aerosol spray cans

Are trash if empty. Otherwise, hazardous waste.

Call WA State Patrol in Bremerton 360-473-0300 to arrange disposal.
Animal Carcasses
Dispose of at Transfer Station. Large animal carcasses by appointment 360-385-9160.

Dispose of up to 5 gallons/day/per customer at Disposal Facilities.

  • Used – Pour into designated drums at Transfer Station/Recycle Center or Quilcene Drop Box.
  • Contaminated with oils, solvents, gas, etc. – Visit Hazardous Waste page for where and when to dispose of these.

If working may be accepted at Habitat for Humanity or Waste not Want Not. Call first.

  • Refrigerating – Air conditioners, freezers, refrigerators. Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box. Fees apply.
  • Other – Washers, dryers, dishwashers, water heaters, etc. Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box. Fees apply.

Jefferson County does not accept asbestos-containing materials.

Disposal options elsewhere:

Kitsap County – Olympic View Transfer Station 360-674-2297; Clallam County – Waste Connections Inc. 800-422-7854.

Follow the link to visit Clallam County’s Asbestos Disposal webpage.

Paperwork and an appointment are required for disposal and a fee will apply.

  • Rechargeable (Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Ni-Zn), lithium (Li-Ion Primary), and button/coin cell batteries are accepted for recycling at Public Works Office, 623 Sheridan St., Port Townsend, Mon. – Fri., 8 am – 5 pm (no charge).

  • Automotive, ‘wet cell’ lead-acid batteries, rechargeable (Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Ni-Zn), lithium (Li-Ion Primary), and button/coin cell batteries are accepted at the Transfer Station (tipping floor) and Quilcene Drop Box during normal operating hours. Disposal fees apply.

  • Alkaline batteries are not accepted for recycling and may be disposed of in the trash after covering the terminal ends with tape or wrapping each battery in plastic.

Cell phones

Recycle at Public Works Office, 623 Sheridan St, Port Townsend.

Compressed gas bottles
Not accepted at any Jefferson County Solid Waste Facility. Contact a gas supply company, such as Airgas, for instructions.
Small amounts accepted for disposal at Transfer Station. For larger amounts, call Shold at (360) 379-4813 for pricing and more info.
  • E-Cycle Washington eligible electronics are computers (desktop & laptop,) monitors, TVs, tablets, e-readers, and portable DVD players. Drop-off under the canopy at the front of the Transfer Station Recycling building. Ring buzzer for attendant. Goodwill accepts if told it’s for E-Cycle Washington program.
  • Visit 1-800-Recycle for where to recycle items not eligible for E-Cycle Washington.
Fire extinguishers

ABC-type fire extinguishers use an agent that is not considered toxic in WA state so they can be disposed of as regular garbage.

For disposal of halon extinguishers, contact Tarboo Ridge Extinguishers at (360) 385-3306. 


(unexploded) – Wet thoroughly, wrap in plastic and seal so will not dry out and dispose in regular trash.

Food Scraps

Help reduce the volume of solid waste going to the landfill by composting your food waste. Learn more about backyard composting and its benefits.

Composting Guide



Gasoline, Diesel, White Gas, Kerosene, Heating Oil, Fuels-Mixed, and Liquid Paraffin, visit Hazardous Waste page for where and when to dispose of these.

Hazardous Waste

Anything labeled with “Danger” or “Warning” is hazardous and should not go in regular garbage. Listed below are just some of the types of household hazardous waste accepted by our Hazardous Waste program.

  • Acids – various kinds
  • Adhesives
  • Alkalines – various kinds
  • Automotive products
  • Corrosives – acid and alkaline
  • Flammable liquids
  • Herbicides – all types
  • Lawn and garden chemicals
  • Mercury, elemental
  • Personal care products – Hair color, hair spray, nail polish & remover.
  • Pesticides – all types
  • Photographic chemicals
  • Poisonous liquids
  • Pool chemicals
  • Refrigerant – includes disposable recharging cylinders and recovery cylinders
  • Roofing Cement or Roofing Compound
  • Solvents (i.e. wood preservatives)
  • Tung Oil (combustible liquid)
  • Turpentine (combustible liquid)
  • Wood Preservatives


Light Bulbs
  • Incandescent, halogen and LED go in regular trash.
  • Fluorescent and HID lights (Straight tubes, “U”, Circular, and CFL) – Recycle up to 10 per day in designated recycling area at the Transfer Station and Quilcene Drop Box.
  • Ballasts – Regular trash if marked “No PCBs” or a date of 1979 or after. Ballasts without such markings are assumed to contain PCBs and are accepted as Hazardous Waste; SQG Fees apply.


Dispose of as garbage at Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box.
Medicines and medical items

Never dump medications down the sink, toilet or other drain.

  • Prescription pills/capsules – Dropbox in Sheriff’s Office lobby for free disposal during open business hours. Prescription pills/capsules only. NO syringes or liquids. See flyer for more info.
  • Medications, Liquids and Over the Counter – Prescription and non-prescription pills and liquids can be disposed of in regular trash after made inedible as follows: 1. Empty pills into a baggie and partially dissolve in a small amount of water.  2. Add soil, kitty litter or other inedible material. Discard mixture and original container(s) in household trash.
  • Syringes & Sharps – Visit Jefferson County Public Health’s Home Syringe Disposal page.  Or drop off at the collection bins at the Recycling Center at the Transfer Station or Quilcene Rural Drop Box (ask attendent).


  •  Motor oil – used and unmixed – Up to 5 gallons/day/per customer at Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box. Pour into designated drums or tanks at the Transfer Station/Recycle Center and Quilcene Drop Box. Also at the Port of Port Townsend for moorage tenants. All free disposal sites.
  • Motor oil – contaminated with water, gas, solvents, etc. – visit the Hazardous Waste page for where and when to dispose of these.
  • Oil filters – drain for at least 24 hrs. and dispose of as trash.


Packing/shipping materials
such as bubble wrap, air bags, and Styrofoam peanuts may be accepted at local UPS Store or Mail Plus. Call first. Otherwise, dispose of as regular garbage.
Paints, stains, solvents, and caulking

Never dispose of in sink, toilet, or other drain. Full cans of acrylic/latex paint may be accepted at Waste Not Want Not. Call first.

  • Water-based paint (latex) and stain – Bring to household waste collection events or dispose in regular garbage AFTER doing the following. 1. Mix equal parts paint and absorbent material such as cat litter, wood pellets, sawdust, and concrete mix. 2. Stir till an oatmeal-like consistency and then let sit for an hour. 3. With lid removed, dispose of the thickened, non-pourable paint or stain with regular household trash.
  • Oil-based paint, stains, and solvents – visit the Hazardous Waste page for where and when to dispose of these.
  • Caulking – Latex or acrylic caulk not labeled with “Danger” or “Warning” is regular trash. For caulking, sealant and adhesive caulk tubes labeled “Flammable,” “Danger,” or “Warning.” visit the Hazardous Waste page for where and when to dispose of these.



Printers are NOT include in the Washington E-Cycle program

They are TRASH. They are not recyclable in Jefferson County. 

You may be able to find big box stores that will take them to recycle. 


Propane bottles
  • 1-lb disposable – go in trash if empty otherwise, visit the Hazardous Waste page for where and when to dispose of these.
  • Refillable bottles – take to Peninsula Recycling at 4711 S Discovery Rd. or to the Transfer Station (fees apply)
Smoke alarms

Safe to put in the trash. 

Contact Shold at (360) 379-4813 for pricing and more info.

The volunteer group Port Townsend StyroCyclers runs a Styrofoam recycling program in East Jefferson County. They collect Styrofoam that is white, rigid, clean, and free of labels, tape, cardboard, or paper. To schedule a Styrofoam pickup or delivery, email PTStyroCyclers@gmail.com or message them on Facebook facebook.com/PortTownsendStyrofoam.


Up to five accepted with or without rims at the Transfer Station and Quilcene DropBox. If more than five contact SW Operations Coordinator first at 360-385-9160. Disposal fees apply. Alternative disposal options are listed on this page.