Brinnon Recycling Site Closed on June 1, 2021 – The recycling bins were removed from the Yelvik General Store in Brinnon on 6/1/2021 due to garbage being left inside and outside of the recycling bins. No-fee recycling is available at the Quilcene Solid Waste Drop Box, 295312 Highway 101, Tues./Thurs/Sat., 9 am to noon and 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm. To subscribe to curbside pickup of recyclables, call Waste Connections at (360) 452-7278.
05/24 BOCC Workshop on Recycling – Al Cairns, Solid Waste Manager, presented on what’s going on with recycling and the need for the upcoming Recycling RFP. Here’s a link to the AVCaptureAll recording of the workshop. Once you’ve opened the webpage scroll down the agenda to 1:30 p.m. and click on the workshop link in the agenda. That will take you to the start of Al’s presentation to the BOCC.
The Truth about Recycling – Watch the eye-opening video, Is Recycling Worth It Anymore? The Truth Is Complicated. to find out the truth about recycling.
The Transfer Station and Quilcene Drop Box are open on their normal schedules. Please note:
- We are not accepting loads from outside of Jefferson County.
- Expect longer wait times at the Transfer Station.
- Reduce wait times by postponing your trip until you have a larger load.
- Consider signing up for garbage collection with Waste Connections 360-385-6612 https://www.murreysdisposal.com/jefferson-county
- Be patient and stay in your vehicle while waiting at our scales.
- Only cash or check accepted at Quilcence Dropbox, and are preferred at the Transfer Station (slow credit card machine – Visa/MC only).
- Masks and social distancing are required for the safety of customers and staff.
- Stay home if you or members of your household are sick or exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19. For COVID-19 information visit Public Health’s COVID_19 page.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility is open on its normal schedule: Fridays & 1st Saturday each month, 10 AM – Noon and 12:30 PM – 4:30 PM. Masks are required. For large loads call to schedule an appointment 360-379-6911 (Mon. – Thurs.) or 360-385-9160.
Paint Recycling – The Department of Ecology has contracted with PaintCare to establish collection points for unused oil-based and latex paints where those products are sold. The PaintCare program launched April 1 with a single collection point at Peninsula Paint Center located at 315 Decatur St., Port Townsend. For questions about the PaintCare program or to find other retail collection points, please visit: https://www.paintcare.org/states/washington/ or phone (360) 450-1639. PaintCare Washington Launch Press Release.
The PaintCare program is independent of Jefferson County’s Moderate Risk Waste Program which will continue to collect oil-based paints only at the Moderate Risk Waste Facility located in the Port of Port Townsend Boat Haven.
Recycle Flyer– Find out what can and can’t be recycled in Jefferson County. Check out the back of the flyer for drop-off locations and hours of operation, as well as information about why some things can’t be recycled.
Recycling videos – Get answers to common recycling questions and learn about contaminants.
- Blue is Recycling, Red is Garbage (by Commissioner Greg Brotherton and Tracy & David Grisman)
- Do you know what to recycle? (by Commissioner Greg Brotherton and Laura Tucker, Jefferson County Environmental Educator)