Residential Curbside Recycling – Inside Port Townsend city limits: City of PT Trash Collection/Recycling page. In Jefferson County, outside Port Townsend city limits, contact Olympic Disposal at 360-452-7278 or 800-422-7854.
Workplace Recycling -Olympic Disposal’s commercial garbage customers within the City of Port Townsend receive recycling services at no extra charge. Contact Olympic Disposal at 360-385-6612 or 1-800-422-7854.
Paint Recycling – The Department of Ecology has contracted with PaintCare to establish collection points for unused oil-based and latex paints where those products are sold. The PaintCare program launched April 1, 2021 with a single collection point at Peninsula Paint Center located at 315 Decatur St., Port Townsend. For questions about the PaintCare program or to find other retail collection points, please visit: https://www.paintcare.org/states/washington/ or phone (360) 450-1639. PaintCare Washington Launch Press Release.
The PaintCare program is independent of Jefferson County’s Household Hazardous Waste Program which will continue to collect oil-based paints only at our collection events.
Recycling Clean Wood Waste – “Market Development for Clean Wood Waste” is a recently completed study funded by a Recycling Development Center grant from the Washington State Department of Ecology. The study was discussed at the 7/22/2021 SWAC meeting.
05/24/2021 BOCC Workshop on Recycling – Al Cairns, Solid Waste Manager, presented on what’s going on with recycling and the need for the upcoming Recycling RFP. Here’s a link to the AVCaptureAll recording of the workshop. Once you’ve opened the webpage, scroll down the agenda to 1:30 p.m. and click on the workshop link in the agenda. That will take you to the start of Al’s presentation to the BOCC. The Truth about Recycling – Watch the eye-opening video, Is Recycling Worth It Anymore? The Truth Is Complicated. to find out the truth about recycling.
Recycling videos – Get answers to common recycling questions and learn about contaminants.
- Blue is Recycling, Red is Garbage
(by Commissioner Greg Brotherton and Tracy & David Grisman.)
- Is Recycling Worth It Anymore? The Truth Is Complicated. Watch this eye-opening video about recycling.
Other Recycling Info
- Where does our recycling go?
- Moving-It-On 2022 Local resources for donating and recycling useable stuff.
- Recycle Plastic Bags and Wraps at local grocers.
- Recycle rechargeable, button, and lithium batteries.
- Styrofoam recycling is offered by PTStyroCyclers. Find out more about them on Facebook – no account needed to to view their page. https://www.facebook.com/PortTownsendStyrofoam/ or email them at PTStyroCyclers@gmail.com.
- Opt out of phone book deliveries here.