Recycling Changes – Our recycling program changed on June 1, 2022. Read more about it here and see the new Recycling flyer.
Residential Curbside Recycling – Inside Port Townsend city limits: City of PT Trash Collection/Recycling page. In Jefferson County, outside Port Townsend city limits, contact Olympic Disposal at 360-452-7278 or 800-422-7854.
Workplace Recycling -Olympic Disposal’s commercial garbage customers within the City of Port Townsend receive recycling services at no extra charge. Contact Olympic Disposal at 360-385-6612 or 1-800-422-7854.
Paint Recycling – The Department of Ecology has contracted with PaintCare to establish collection points for unused oil-based and latex paints where those products are sold. The PaintCare program launched April 1, 2021 with a single collection point at Peninsula Paint Center located at 315 Decatur St., Port Townsend. For questions about the PaintCare program or to find other retail collection points, please visit: https://www.paintcare.org/states/washington/ or phone (360) 450-1639. PaintCare Washington Launch Press Release.
The PaintCare program is independent of Jefferson County’s Household Hazardous Waste Program. Both oil-based and latex paints can be disposed of at our household hazardous waste collection events.
Recycling Clean Wood Waste – “Market Development for Clean Wood Waste” is a recently completed study funded by a Recycling Development Center grant from the Washington State Department of Ecology. The study was discussed at the 7/22/2021 SWAC meeting.
05/24/2021 BOCC Workshop on Recycling – Al Cairns, Solid Waste Manager, presented on what’s going on with recycling and the need for the upcoming Recycling RFP. Here’s a link to the AVCaptureAll recording of the workshop. Once you’ve opened the webpage, scroll down the agenda to 1:30 p.m. and click on the workshop link in the agenda. That will take you to the start of Al’s presentation to the BOCC. The Truth about Recycling – Watch the eye-opening video, Is Recycling Worth It Anymore? The Truth Is Complicated. to find out the truth about recycling.
Recycling videos – Get answers to common recycling questions and learn about contaminants.
- Blue is Recycling, Red is Garbage
(by Commissioner Greg Brotherton and Tracy Grisman.)
- Is Recycling Worth It Anymore? The Truth Is Complicated. Watch this eye-opening video about recycling.
Other Recycling Info
- Where does our recycling go?
- Moving-It-On 2022 Local resources for donating and recycling useable stuff.
- Recycle Plastic Bags and Wraps at local grocers.
- Recycle rechargeable, button, and lithium batteries.
- “Styrofoam” (expanded polystyrene, EPS) — The volunteer group Port Townsend StyroCyclers, a Local 20/20 Beyond Waste project, runs an EPS recycling program in East Jefferson County. They collect EPS that is white, rigid, clean, and free of labels, tape, cardboard, or paper. For their schedule, visit them on Facebook – no account needed to to view their page – https://www.facebook.com/PortTownsendStyrofoam/ or email them at PTStyroCyclers@gmail.com.
- Opt out of phone book deliveries here.