Waste Disposal Facilities

Holiday Closure – Independence Day, July 4

The Transfer Station, Quilcene Drop Box, and HHW/MRW facilities will be closed on Saturday, July 4, 2020 in observance of the Independence Day holiday.

Transfer Station – Garbage, Recycling, Yard Waste

  • 325 County Landfill Rd, Port Townsend, WA 98368  Map
  • Monday – Saturday, 9 am – 4:30 pm, except holidays*
  • Disposal fees by weight. Minimum charge: $10 for garbage, $5 for yard waste.
  • Pay with cash, check, or credit/debit card (Visa & Mastercard only.)
  • Recycling is free.
  • Questions? call 360-385-9160. 

Quilcene Solid Waste Drop Box – Garbage and Recycling

  • 295312 Highway 101, Quilcene, WA 98376  Map
  • Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, 9 am – 12 pm & 12:30 pm – 4:30 pm, except holidays*
  • Disposal fees charged by container, loose volume, or special rate for bulky items.
  • Pay with cash or check. Credit/debit cards are not accepted.
  • Recycling is free.
  • Questions? call 360-385-9160. Quilcene Drop Box Office: 360-765-3051

Household Hazardous Waste Facility 

  • Building 19, Port of Port Townsend Boat Haven  Map
  • Fridays and 1st Saturday each month, 10 am – 12 pm & 12:30 pm – 4:30 pm,
    except holidays*
  • Free to Jefferson County residents.  For businesses and out-of-county residents, disposal fees apply – see current MRW fee schedule.
  • Questions? call 360-385-9160. HHW Office Phone: 360-379-6911 

Compost Facility – Purchase Compost

  • City of Port Townsend Compost Facility at the Transfer Station
  • 325 County Landfill Road, Port Townsend, WA 98368  Map
  • Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 12 pm – 3 pm, when available. Closed county holidays*.
  • Compost availability: 360-385-7908

What is Accepted For Garbage Disposal?

All residential and commercial solid waste, including refrigerators and other appliances, are acceptable for disposal, EXCEPT for the following:

Waste Requiring Special Treatment

  • Used medical needles from residences must be in a puncture resistant container, marked as “Bio-Hazard Infectious Waste” and should be kept separate from other trash. See Medical Waste (“Sharps”). Medical and veterinary hospitals and clinics should contract with a commercial disposal company
  • Lumber and poles must be less than 10 ft long. Lumber treated with creosote or other wood preservative is accepted unless it is brought in by a business that is a manufacturer or supplier of creosote.
  • Used Oil and Spent Antifreeze can be recycled at several locations including the Transfer Station, Quilcene Drop Box Site, and Household Hazardous Waste Facility.  Please refer to page 2 of the HHW Facility brochure.