Please report illegal dumping on Jefferson County roads to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office at 360-385-3831.
How to Prevent Illegal Dumping
- Conduct business with companies properly permitted and licensed to handle materials. Some for-hire companies advertising waste or junk hauling services are not properly permitted. Call Jefferson County Public Health at 360-385-9444 for permitted facilities.
- Ask the business where they intend to recycle or dispose of materials.
- Be suspicious of unusually low disposal prices. This can indicate your waste will be illegally dumped. Pay only one-half of the hauling, disposal, and recycling fees up-front and the remainder of the cost after you receive a receipt from a legitimate recycler or disposal site operator. If someone you hire hauls away materials and then dumps them illegally, you may be liable for both cleanup and disposal costs.
- Take preventative measures to restrict easy access to your property such as installing gates or berms. Post “No Dumping” signs on access points to your property. A property owner is ultimately responsible for their property.
- If you suspect someone is improperly disposing of materials, file a complaint with Jefferson County Public Health (360-385-9444.) Public Health does not take anonymous complaints; however, confidential complaints are accepted.
Visit Jefferson County Public Health’s Illegal Dumping page for more info or call the Public Health Office at 360-385-9444.