A-Z Disposal Info

Need more information or have questions?  Call 360-385-9160. 

The Recycling flyer has information on recycling cardboard, glass, metal cans, paper, and plastic. 

The HHW Flyer has information on disposing of hazardous waste. 

Aerosol spray cans – Are trash if empty. Otherwise, take to HHW Facility.

Ammunition – Call WA State Patrol in Bremerton 360-473-0300 to arrange disposal.

Animal Carcasses – Dispose of at Transfer Station.  Large animal carcasses by appointment 360-385-9160.

Antifreeze – Dispose of up to 5 gallons/day/per customer at Disposal Facilities. Larger quantities accepted by appointment at HHW Facility.

  • Used – Pour into designated drums at Transfer Station/Recycle Center or Quilcene Drop Box, or take to HHW Facility.
  • Contaminated with oils, solvents, gas, etc. – Bring closed container to HHW Facility.

Appliances – If working may be accepted at Habitat for Humanity or Waste not Want Not. Call first.

  • Refrigerating – Air conditioners, freezers, refrigerators. Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box. Fees apply.
  • Other – Washers, dryers, dishwashers, water heaters, etc. Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box. Fees apply.

Asbestos – Jefferson County does not accept asbestos-containing materials.  Disposal options elsewhere:  Kitsap County – Olympic View Transfer Station 360-674-2297; or Clallam County – Waste Connections Inc. 800-422-7854.


  • AlkalineRisk of fire unless completely discharged. Cover terminals with tape or put each battery in a separate plastic bag.  Dispose in trash
  • Automotive – Free recycling at auto parts stores (check first) and HHW facility.  Dispose of at Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box. Fees apply.
  • Rechargeable, Lithium, Button Cell (Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Lithium (disposable) or Lithium-Ion (rechargeable), Small sealed lead-acid. Risk of fire, cover terminals with tape or put each battery in a separate plastic bag (not necessary for button cell.) Recycle at HHW Facility, Public Works Office, and Environmental Health.
  • Button Cell – Alkaline hearing aid batteries can go in trash. Other button cell batteries go to HHW Facility for recycling.

Cell phones – Recycle at HHW Facility, Public Works Office, and Environmental Health Office.

Compressed gas bottles – Not accepted at any Jefferson County Solid Waste Facility. Phone HHW Coordinator for assistance 360-385-9230.

Concrete – Small amounts accepted for disposal at Transfer Station. For larger amounts, call Shold at (360) 379-4813 for pricing and more info.


  • E-Cycle Washington eligible electronics are computers (desktop & laptop,) monitors, TVs, tablets, e-readers, and portable DVD players. Drop-off under the canopy at the front of the Transfer Station Recycling building. Ring buzzer for attendant. Goodwill accepts if told it’s for E-Cycle Washington program.
  • Visit 1-800-Recycle for where to recycle items not eligible for E-Cycle Washington.

Fire extinguishers – Accepted at HHW Facility.

Fireworks (unexploded) – Wet thoroughly, wrap in plastic and seal so will not dry out; want it to remain wet, dispose in regular trash.

Food Scraps – Help reduce the volume of solid waste going to the landfill by composting your food waste. Learn more about backyard composting and its benefits.

Fuels – Gasoline, Diesel, White Gas, Kerosene, Heating Oil, Fuels-Mixed, Liquid Paraffin accepted for disposal at HHW Facility.  If more than 5 gallons call HHW Coordinator at 360-385-9160.

Hazardous Waste – Anything labeled with “Danger” or “Warning” is hazardous and should not go in regular garbage.  Listed below are just some of the types of household hazardous waste accepted at the HHW Facility.  If you have disposal questions please call 360-385-9160.

  • Acids – various kinds
  • Adhesives
  • Alkalines – various kinds
  • Automotive products
  • Corrosives – acid and alkaline
  • Flammable liquids
  • Herbicides – all types
  • Lawn and garden chemicals
  • Mercury, elemental
  • Personal care products – Hair color, hair spray, nail polish & remover.
  • Pesticides – all types
  • Photographic chemicals
  • Poisonous liquids
  • Pool chemicals
  • Refrigerant – includes disposable recharging cylinders and recovery cylinders
  • Roofing Cement or Roofing Compound
  • Solvents (i.e. wood preservatives)
  • Tung Oil (combustible liquid)
  • Turpentine (combustible liquid)
  • Wood Preservatives

Light Bulbs

  • Incandescent, halogen and LED go in regular trash.
  • Fluorescent and HID lights (Straight tubes, “U”, Circular, and CFL) – Recycle up to 10 per day in designated recycling area at the Transfer Station and Quilcene Drop Box.  Larger quantities may be recycled at HHW Facility.
  • Ballasts – Regular trash if marked “No PCBs” or a date of 1979 or after. Ballasts without such markings are assumed to contain PCBs and are accepted at HHW Facility; SQG Fees apply.

Mattresses – Dispose of as garbage at Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box.

Medicines and medical items – Never dump medications down the sink, toilet or other drain.

  • Prescription pills/capsules – Dropbox in Sheriff’s Office lobby for free disposal during open business hours. Prescription pills/capsules only. NO syringes or liquids. See flyer for more info.
  • Medications, Liquids and Over the Counter – Prescription and non-prescription pills and liquids can be disposed of in regular trash after made inedible as follows: 1. Empty pills into a baggie and partially dissolve in a small amount of water.  2. Add soil, kitty litter or other inedible material. Discard mixture and original container(s) in household trash.
  • Syringes & Sharps – Visit Jefferson County Public Health’s Home Syringe Disposal page.

Oil – The HHW Facility accepts oils of any kind. Differing oils should be labeled and should not be mixed.

  • Motor oil – used and unmixed – Up to 5 gallons/day/per customer at Transfer Station or Quilcene Drop Box. Pour into designated drums or tanks at the Transfer Station/Recycle Center and Quilcene Drop Box, or take to HHW Facility. Larger quantities accepted by appointment at HHW Facility.  Also Port Ludlow Marine Store 360-437-0513, and the Port of Port Townsend for businesses moorage tenants. All free disposal sites.
  • Motor oil – contaminated with water, gas, solvents, etc. – Bring in a closed container to HHW Facility.
  • Oil filters – Used motor oil filters are accepted at the HHW Facility and at Jiffy Lube on Sims Way (disposal fee.)

Packing/shipping materials such as bubble wrap, air bags, and Styrofoam peanuts may be accepted at local UPS Store or Mail Plus.  Call first.  Otherwise, dispose of as regular garbage.

Paints, stains, solvents, and caulking – Never dispose of in sink, toilet, or other drain. Full cans of acrylic/latex paint may be accepted at Waste Not Want Not. Call first.

  • Water-based paint (latex) and stain –  Dispose in regular garbage AFTER doing the following.  1. Mix equal parts paint and absorbent material such as cat litter, wood pellets, sawdust, and concrete mix.  2. Stir till an oatmeal-like consistency and then let sit for an hour. 3. With lid removed, dispose of the thickened, non-pourable paint or stain with regular household trash.
  • Oil-based paint, stains, and solvents – Dispose of at HHW Facility.
  • Caulking – Latex or acrylic caulk not labeled with “Danger” or “Warning” is regular trash. Caulking, sealant and adhesive caulk tubes labeled “Flammable,” “Danger,” or “Warning” go to the HHW Facility for disposal.

Propane bottles

  • 1-lb disposable – go in trash if empty otherwise, take to HHW Facility.
  • Refillable bottles – Contact Sunshine Propane for disposal info..

Smoke alarms – Safe to put in the trash.  Some contain a tiny amount of radioactive material, but far less than ordinary background radiation found in nature.

Stumps – Contact Shold at (360) 379-4813 for pricing and more info.

Styrofoam – The volunteer group Port Townsend StyroCyclers runs a Styrofoam recycling program in East Jefferson County. They collect Styrofoam that is white, rigid, clean, and free of labels, tape, cardboard, or paper. To schedule a Styrofoam pickup or delivery, email PTStyroCyclers@gmail.com or message them on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PortTownsendStyrofoam/.  Click here for more info about this program .

Tires – Up to five accepted with or without rims at the Transfer Station and Quilcene DropBox.  If more than five contact SW Operations Coordinator first at 360-385-9160. Disposal fees apply.  Alternative disposal options are listed on this page.

%d bloggers like this: