Every vehicle generates at least 2.5 gallons of used oil per year. Statistics show that about one-half of vehicle owners maintain their own vehicles but that no more than 15 percent will recycle their oil. Conservatively, that equates into over five million gallons of used oil per year being placed into the environment in landfills, sewers, waterways, and vacant lots.
What Should YOU Do With Used Oil?
- NEVER dispose of used motor oil on the ground; in a ditch, creek, river, or lake; in a storm sewer; or in the garbage.
- DON’T mix used motor oil with anything else, such as gasoline, solvents, antifreeze, pesticides, etc. Clean (uncontaminated) used motor oil is easily recycled.
- Transfer your used motor oil to a clean leak-proof plastic container with a screw-on top (milk jug, empty oil container, etc.) and put the top on firmly to prevent leaking and spilling.
- Properly dispose of your used oil quickly. If you let it sit around you run the risk of the container either leaking or being punctured.
- Prior to discarding your used oil filter, punch an air hole in the dome end of the filter. Also, puncture the anti-drain back valve (if present) located at the flat end of the filter. Allow the oil to drain from the filter for several hours. Combine this oil with the rest of your used motor oil for recycling. Drained oil filters AREN’T hazardous waste. Please double wrap the filter and put in your normal garbage can for disposal.
Recycling used motor oil is a critical step in conserving this valuable non-renewable resource. Finding the proper collection point for used oil is the first step.
Jefferson County residents can recycle clean used motor oil at the following locations:
- Recycle Center, Jacob Miller Road, during business hours: Monday-Saturday, 9 AM to 4:30 PM…360-385-0404
- Port Ludlow, Marina Store, 1 Gull Dr., open during marina business hours, Sunday thru Thursday, 8 AM to 7 PM…360-437-0513
- Quilcene, Drop-Box site on Highway 101, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 1 PM-5 PM, Saturday, 9 AM to 5 PM…360-765-3051
- Moderate Risk Waste Facility (MRW) located at 282 10th St. in the Port of Port Townsend marina area: Fridays only, 10 AM to 4:30 PM …360-385-9160