Jefferson County maintains a high level of services for recycling. Skookum Recycling is the County’s contract recycler. There are no fees for recycling.
- Jefferson County Recycling Center 301 County Landfill Road, off Jacob Miller Road just outside of Port Townsend. Open Monday to Saturday from 9 am to 4:30 pm, except County holidays. Closed County holidays. In addition to recycling, Skookum offers household and commercial shredding services. Skookum can be contacted at 360-385-7678.
- Quilcene Drop Box Facility 295316 Highway 101 just south of the Community Center. Open Moday, Wednesday and Friday from 1 pm to 5 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm. Closed County holidays.
- Dosewallips State Park 306996 Highway 101, Brinnon. Open from dawn to dusk (Discover Pass not required).
- Port Hadlock 202 Elkins Road. Open 24 hours/7 days a week.
- Kala Point 20 Village Drive. Open at the discretion of the Village Association.
- Port Ludlow Village Center 40 Village Way. Open 24 hours/7 days a week.
- Port Townsend Fort Worden near the Madrona Mind/Body studio, 200 Battery Way (Discover Pass required). Open 24 hours/7 days a week.
- Port Townsend Tyler St. off Water St. at the foot of the Washington St. stairs (cardboard only). Open 24 hours/7 days a week.
Materials accepted at the above sites are:
- Glass Brown and green mixed clear bottles and jars; no light bulbs or ceramics; no window glass.
- Cardboard Corrugated cardboard boxes, brown paper bags.
- Paper Products Mixed paper, white paper, envelopes, junk mail, newspapers and inserts, magazines and catalogs, telephone books, paperback and hardcover books, cardboard tubes and other cardboard packaging, cardboard egg cartons.
- Plastics Plastic water or soda pop bottles -PET #1 – and HDPE #2 Plastic - no other plastic is accepted.
- Metals Aluminum cans, tin cans, and clean foil without food contamination.
Empty paint or aerosol cans are garbage and do not go in the recycle containers. Aerosols and or paint cans that are not empty should be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility, Building 19 in the Port Townsend Boat Haven. Phone 360-395-9160, 360-379-6911 (Fridays only), or go to Household Hazardous Waste for more information.
Please do not use recycle collection containers for garbage disposal.
Recycling Curbside Collection
Port Townsend DM Disposal Co. Inc. does curbside collection of recycle materials every other week. The Garbage, Recycling, and Yardwaste schedule is available through the City of Port Townsend, 360-379-5096. Murrey’s Olympic Disposal does curbside collection of recycle materials in the unincorporated county, 360-452-7278 or 800-422-7854.
West Jefferson County Services
Clearwater Site West End
Serviced by Murrey’s Olympic Disposal, 360-452-7278
The ‘Annex’ 1876 Clearwater Road
Open 24 hours
Other West Jefferson Recycling Options
West Waste & Recycling Transfer Station in Forks.
Call 360-374-5020 or 360-374-9544for information.
Buy Back Program
The Recycle Center will pay per pound for aluminum cans if brought to the desk at the Recycle Center (call 360-385-7678 to confirm). Call a commercial metal recycler for other metals.
Read below on How to Prepare Recycle Material or call Skookum at 360-385-7678 or 360-385-4980 for more information. Wood products and building materials are not accepted, but may be recyclable at re-use stores.
Jefferson County’s public recycling program is contracted to Skookum Recycling which employs adults with developmental disabilities or at-risk in a training and social development program.
You can help reduce recycling costs and ensure a healthier workplace for Skookum employees by following these steps:
• Follow directions for sorting recyclables for curbside collection provided by your waste hauler
• Read the signs on the large brown public recycling bins for where to put recyclables
• Place all recyclables inside the brown bin, not on the ground. If the bin is full, please call Skookum at 360-385-7678 or 360-385-4980 and wait a day, or go to another recycling location.
• Flatten cardboard boxes and keep all paper products dry. Rain soaked newspaper cannot be recycled
• Rinse out bottles, jars and cans. Food waste attracts lots of wasps.
• Throw away all bottle caps, jar lids and loose can lids. These cannot be recycled.
Skookum Recycling has to pay for garbage disposal for non-recyclable items put in the recycle bins.
What Can I Recycle?
Unless it is on the list above it is garbage. There are a number of plastic and glass products that cannot be recycled in this County and you should put these in your garbage.