Jefferson County continues to maintain a high level of services for recycling. Skookum Recycling is the County’s contract recycler.
- Jefferson County Recycling Center, 301 County Landfill Rd., off Jacob Miller Rd. just outside of Port Townsend. In addition to recycling, Skookum offers household and commercial shredding services. Hours of operation are Mponday to Saturday from 9 am to 4:30 pm, except County holidays. Skookum can be contacted at 360-385-7678.
- Port Hadlock Site at 202 Elkins Road – open 24 hours/7 days a week
- Port Ludlow Village Center at 40 Village Way – open 24 hours/7 days a week
- Kala Point 20 Village Drive – hours of operation at Village Association discretion
- Quilcene Drop Box Facility, 295316 Hwy.101 (just south of the Community Center) – open Mon., Wed. and Fri. from 1 pm to 5 pm and Sat. from 9 am to 5 pm
- Brinnon at the Dosewallips State Park – open from dawn to dusk (Discover Pass not required).
- Port Townsend: Fort Worden near the Madrona Mind/Body studio, 200 Battery Way (Discover Pass required).
- Port Townsend: Tyler St. off Water St. at the foot of the Washington St. stairs (cardboard only).
Materials accepted at the above sites are:
- Glass (brown and green mixed clear bottles and jars; no light bulbs or ceramics; no window glass)
- Cardboard (corrugated cardboard boxes, brown paper bags)
- Paper Products (mixed paper, white paper, envelopes, and junk mail newspapers and inserts, magazines and catalogs, telephone books, paperback and hardcover books, cardboard tubes and other cardboard packaging, cardboard egg cartons)
- Plastics (plastic water or soda pop bottles -PET #1 – and HDPE #2 Plastic - no other plastic is accepted)
- Metals (aluminum cans and clean foil – no food contamination), tinned cans
Please do not use recycle collection containers for garbage disposal. Empty paint or aerosol cans are garbage and do not go in the recycle containers. Aerosols and or paint cans that are not empty, should be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility at the Port Townsend Industrial Park. Phone 360-379-6911, 360-395-9160, or go to Household Hazardous Waste for more information.
Recycling Curbside Collection
In Port Townsend, DM Disposal Co. Inc. does curbside collection of recycle materials every other week. The Garbage, Recycling, and Yardwaste Schedule is available through the City of Port Townsend, 360-379-5096. Murrey’s Olympic Disposal does curbside collection of recycle materials in the unincorporated county, 360-452-7278 or 800-422-7854.
West Jefferson County Services
Clearwater Site West End
Serviced by Murrey’s Olympic Disposal, 360-452-7278
The ‘Annex’ 1876 Clearwater Road
Open 24 hours
Other West Jefferson Recycling Options
West Waste & Recycling Transfer Station in Forks.
Call 360-374-5020 or 360-374-9544 for information.
Buy Back Program
The Recycle Center will pay per pound for aluminum cans if brought to the desk at the Recycle Center (call 360-385-7678 to confirm). Call a commercial metal recycler for other metals.
Read below on How to Prepare Recycle Material or call Skookum at 360-385-7678 or 360-385-4980 for more information. Wood products and building materials are not accepted, but may be recyclable at re-use stores.
Jefferson County’s public recycling program is contracted to Skookum Recycling which employs adults with developmental disabilities or at-risk in a training and social development program.
You can help reduce recycling costs and ensure a healthier workplace for Skookum employees by following these steps:
• Follow directions for sorting recyclables for curbside collection provided by your waste hauler
• Read the signs on the large blue public recycling bins for where to put recyclables
• Place all recyclables inside the brown bin, not on the ground. If the bin is full, please call Skookum at 360-385-7678 or 360-385-4980 and wait a day, or go to another recycling location (click on Recycling). The Recycle Center is always a good alternative
• Flatten cardboard boxes and keep all paper products dry. Rain soaked newspaper cannot be recycled
• Rinse out bottles, jars and cans, Food waste attracts lots of wasps.
• Throw away all bottle caps, jar lids and loose can lids. These cannot be recycled.
Skookum Recycling has to pay for garbage disposal for non-recyclable items put in the recycle bins.
What Can I Recycle?
Unless it is on the list above it is garbage. There are a number of plastic and glass products that cannot be recycled in this County and you should put these in your garbage.